9.30am to 5.00pm

Monday to Friday

Clifden Office

The Square, Clifden, Co. Galway

Inver Lodge and The Inverbeg Estate, Rosmuc, Co Galway H91CR4R

€2,900,000

Details

Updated on May 9, 2024 at 10:30 am

  • Property ID: MOS-10925
  • Price: €2,900,000
  • Property Type: Residential
  • Property Status: For Sale

Description

Inver Lodge and the Inverbeg Estate

Lough Invernagleragh, Rosmuc, Co Galway H91 CR4R

With approximately 27.5 ha (68 acres), approximately 10 lakes & Sporting rights over approximately 3,885 ha (9,600 acres)

 

 

 

The Property

 

Inver Lodge and the Inverbeg Estate is a spectacular Sporting estate situated amid the dramatic landscape of Connemara.  The Estate has a long and colourful history, owned, and often visited by many well-known Irish and International families.  Set in an area of outstanding natural beauty, Inver Lodge and the Inverbeg Estate has been a destination for sporting enthusiasts and a sanctuary away from the pressures of life.

 

This outstanding Estate includes three residential units, sea trout fishing over approximately 10 lakes and interconnecting rivers, as well as shooting rights over approximately 9,600 acres.

 

The principal residence on the Estate, Inver Lodge, stands on its own private island of approximately 1.9 acres.  The island is surrounded by Lough Invernagleragh with a water surface area of approximately 18.4 acres.  Inver Lodge is accessed by a pontoon bridge linking the island to the mainland or by lake boat.

 

The second residence, Shannavara House, is situated on the mainland close to the harbour and with boat sheds nearby.  Shannavara is a two-storey detached house with stunning views of the surrounding gardens, countryside, and lake.

 

The third residence, the Gate Lodge, is located adjacent to the main entrance of the Estate.

 

The extensive private gardens have been carefully restored and maintained under the stewardship of the present owners.  The wild and mostly natural landscape creates a truly tranquil and serene setting, with the intermingling of natural flowering shrubberies, carpet-like lawns, wild and natural old woodland, and extensive walkways with ponds and viewing areas.   The rejuvenation of the gardens has taken immense effort by the current owner, under the tutelage of the renowned Rhododendron and Azalea expert Dr Lothar Heft, from the Rhododendron Park in Breman, Germany.

 

The 10 lakes and associated rivers cover an extensive area of water, allowing for many long hours of pleasurable private angling.  The main catches are Sea Trout, Brown Trout, and native Irish coarse fish.

 

The exclusive shooting rights cover an area of wild and natural cover extending to approximately 9,600 acres.  A wide variety of game is available, including duck, pheasant, snipe, woodcock, and deer.  As the Estate has been run on a private, invitational basis to date, the quantum details of each game type caught or shot in the game book is limited.

 

 

 

HISTORY

 

The Estate has a fascinating history.  The renowned Galway merchant, O’Hara commenced construction of Inver Lodge in or about 1837.  However, the Great Famine of 1845 intervened and the house was not completed until much later, having given employment to the local community during hard times of hunger.  The Viceroy and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Lord William Humble Ward Dudley, acquired the Estate in the 1900’s and remained in occupation until 1928/1929.  During his tenure, Lord Dudley entertained many well-known guests, including King Edward VI, the King of England, a frequent visitor at the sporting estate.   From 1929 until 1939, the estate was owned by one Captain Wheeler, Commander of the English Brigade in India.

 

The Estate was bought by the Odlum Family in 1941. Odlum sold it to the Guinness brewing family, with the proviso that he could remain at Inver Lodge until his death.  Odlum’s daughter, Corinne, and her husband, Colonel John Millard – both passionate anglers and shooting enthusiasts – engaged in protracted negotiations with the Guinness family and eventually persuaded them to part with Inver for a reputed £10,000.  Corinne Millard Odlum remained the owner of the Estate until 1997, when it was sold to the current owners.

 

Over the past 25 years, the current owners entered into a comprehensive rejuvenation and maintenance program to reinstate the gardens and residences to this wonderful Estate as presented today.

 

 

 

ACCOMMODATION

 

Inver Lodge

 

Inver Lodge is approached from the mainland via a pontoon bridge connecting the island to the mainland or by lake boat.  Inver Lodge stands on an elevated site in the middle of the island and enjoys a protected and secluded position, whilst enjoying outstanding views over the dramatic Connemara landscape.

 

There are safe harbours on the island and the mainland suitable for lake boats up to 18ft in length.

 

Crossing to the island, one takes the gravel path from either the pontoon bridge or the waterlily-filled harbour to the main entrance of the lodge.

 

The Lodge is a fine period-style house with views of the garden, mature woodland, and lake from all the main reception rooms and the conservatory.

 

The accommodation comprises, on the ground floor, entrance porch, inner staircase hall, sunroom, study, sitting room, dining room, and kitchen.  On the first floor, there are four main bedrooms, a small study, studio, and two bathrooms.  Adjoining the rear of the main house is a single-storey Annex, once used for staff accommodation, which can be entered by a short flight of stairs.  The Annex comprises four rooms, including stores and utility rooms. (Subject to planning consents, the Annex could be returned to staff accommodation.)

 

The Lodge extends to approximately 416.69 sq. m. (4,500 sq. ft)

 

Services – Mains Electricity, Electric Central Heating, Private Sewerage, Private Water Supply.

 

BER: G

 

 

 

Shannavara House

 

Shannavara House is situated on the mainland.  It is accessed via the main driveway, from the main gates to a gravel forecourt surrounded by lawns and flowering shrubberies.  Shannavara is a substantial detached residence, close to the main land harbour and boat sheds.

 

The house is a two-storey residence with garage attached.  Since the Estate was purchased, Shannavara House has undergone considerable upgrading and renovation, including replacement windows, a new heating system, and extensive roof repairs.

 

The accommodation comprises, on the ground floor, entrance hall, large country style kitchen, dining room, study, two bedrooms, and bathroom.  On the first floor is the dual-aspect drawing room, with garden views to the front and stunning views over the lake to the rear, a study, linen closet, three bedrooms, and bathroom.  To the right of the house is the boiler house and garage.

 

Shannavara is used as a guest house for fishing and shooting parties and when inclement weather persists, a refuge, prior to crossing to the main house.

 

Shannavara House extends to approximately 233.13 sq. m. (2,500 sq. ft)

 

To the rear of the house is the main fishing harbour with slip way and boat storage sheds.

 

Services – Mains Electricity, Oil Fired Central Heating, Private Sewerage, Private Water Supply

 

BER: D2

 

 

 

Gate Lodge

 

The Gate Lodge is situated just inside the electrified main gates of the Estate.  This house is a single storey residence, which has been unoccupied for some time and requires refurbishment.  There is access to the lake shore at the rear of the house, by way of a walkway through the wonderful woodland landscape.

 

The accommodation comprises, Entrance Hall, Sitting room, Kitchen/Dining, Utility, three bedrooms, and bathroom.

 

The house is surrounded by mature gardens and woodland.

 

The Gate Lodge extends to approximately 11.33 sq. m (1,200 sq. ft).

 

Services: Mains Electricity, Oil Fired Central Heating, Private Sewerage, Private Water Supply.

 

BER; C2.

 

 

 

LANDS

 

The Island

 

The island upon which Inver Lodge stands is a haven of natural woodland with elements of manicured gardens.  The rugged coastline of the island, with its many small inlets and coves, is a delightfully tranquil private piece of paradise.  There are paths running through and around the island, with causeway access to two smaller rocky island outcrops.

 

 

 

Mainland Gardens

 

The mainland gardens extend to approximately 8.6 ha (21.3 acres).

 

The current owners entered into a comprehensive rejuvenation and maintenance program to reinstate the gardens and residences to this wonderful estate as presented today.  Commencing in 1998, they cleared intrusive undergrowth and rejuvenated the extensive woodland gardens.  Walkways and a driveway were created to link the various elements of the gardens to facilitate maintenance and the enjoyment of the overall property.

 

Today, there are over 100 registered varieties of Hydrangea and over 300 named Rhododendron, of which approximately 50% are Azaleas.  The Rhododendron Arboretum includes over 1,000 plantings.  In addition, hundreds of flowering shrubs such as Camelia, Magnolia, Lilacs, Ceanothus and other like plantings are included throughout the gardens.  Furthermore, to enhance the overall natural but manufactured garden landscape, very much in line with such gardens created in the late Victorian Era, trees such as Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress, Larch, Silver Birch and Hazel abound.

 

The creation of this exceptional garden was undertaken with the assistance of the owner’s close friend Dr Lothar Heft, Director of the Rhododendron Park in the city of Bremen, Germany, whose advice was material in selecting and cultivating the extraordinary variety of plants and trees.  The plants were sourced from Internationally renowned nurseries, such as the Duchy of Cornwall Nursery, Cox Glendoick Gardens in Scotland, and Bohlje in Germany.  Many plants were also sourced from Irish Nurseries, including Dangan House, Madden’s, and Seaside Nurseries in Galway to name but a few.

 

 

 

Moorland & Lake Shore

 

The remaining lands are mostly typical Connemara land, being a mixture of moor land, bog, lakeshore, and rough grazing land.  In all, the residual lands surround the southern, western, and northern shore of Lough Invernagleragh and extend to approximately 45 acres.

 

 

 

LOCATION

 

Inver Lodge and the Inverbeg Estate is situated in the middle of the Connemara region of County Galway, an area steeped in Irish history and an area of recognised outstanding beauty.

 

The lakes and countryside adjoining the property are designated in the National Parks and Wildlife Web Site as follows:

 

a)     Special Protected Area (SPA)

 

b)     Proposed Natural Heritage Area (pNHA)

 

c)      Special Area of Conservation (SAC)

 

The area in general is open rolling countryside with elevated ranges of mountains interspersed with low lying lakes, rivers, and moorland.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Distances – Local

Maam Cross (N59)                                         15 km
Leenaun                                                        36 km
Nenagh                                                         36 km
Portumna                                                      21 km
Distances – Major Cities

Galway                                                         60 km
Castlebar                                                      80 km
Cork City                                                     262 km
Dublin City                                                   264 km
Belfast                                                         349 km

Distances – Airports

Dublin Airport                                              271 km
Shannon Airport                                          151 km
Cork Airport                                                282 km
Knock Airport                                              108 km
Viewings

 

All viewing of the property is strictly by appointment through the Joint Sole Selling Agents –

 

Colliers, Hambleden House, 19/26 Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin 2 Ph No + 353 (0)1 6333700.

 

And

 

Matt O’Sullivan Auctioneers, The Square, Clifden, Co Galway Ph No. + 535(0)95 21066

 

 

 

Solicitor with Carriage of Sale

 

Mr Eoghan Clear.

 

 

 

Tenure and Posession

 

The property is offered for sale freehold with vacant posession being given at closing of the sale in respect of the residence and in respect of the lands subject to the expiration of the relevant conacre agreement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Local Authority

 

Galway County Council is the local and planning authority for the region and the property

 

Fixture and Fittings

 

The fitted carpets and curtains and light fittings will remain in the property on closing and will become the property of the successful purchaser. The garden statuery, orniments, machineery,  furniture, rugs and goodsand chattles within the house and other buildings are excluded from the sale. The majority are understood to be available by separate negotiation,

 

Rights of Way

 

We are advised that there are no rights of way traversing the subject property.

 

Fishing & Shooting Rights.

 

We understand that the shooting and fishing rights are contained in the Register of Freeholders County Galway at Folio GY 26S.

 

Tenure & Title

 

Part of the property is contained in the Register of Freeholders of County Galway at Folio GY 55107.

 

We understand the remainder property is held either under a long lease or in the Register of Deeds. Mapping for the purposes of First Registration will be supplied in due course.

Location

  • Area: Rosmuc
  • Country: Ireland

Video





Disclaimer on All Listings
These particulars are intended to give a fair description of the property only and are in no way guaranteed, nor do they form part of any contract. They are issued on the express condition that all negotiations are conducted through Matt O’Sullivan Ltd. All properties are offered subject to contract and to being unsold.


PREVIOUS PROPERTY

Main Street, Roundstone, Connemara, Co. Galway H91K8NW

NEXT PROPERTY

“Drumlish House”, Canons Lane, Clifden, Co. Galway H71 CR97